Prayer is Powerful

 Luke 18:1b (KJV)
                                                      "...that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; "

Last year, a Christian friend started a Facebook group, called "Prayer Warriors." The only requirement is you pray at least once for the requests that are made on the page. Yesterday, a young woman we had prayed for several months passed away. I have to admit, it hit me hard. I never met her, but Ahna impacted my life. Prayer is powerful.

When I wrote about getting "back on track" in my blog post last week, part of my intention was to get back to twice-daily devotion and prayer, and once-daily prayer with my husband. I'm not saying I had stopped praying. Sloppiness was my problem: A shortened prayer and promises for more "tomorrow." The results? Loss of intimacy.

That's the cool thing about prayer. When you have that open line of communication with God, it's like shorthand. There is a solid connection between your soul and Heaven. The Hubster and I feel that our couple's prayer time is an intimate act. We are knit closer together, between ourselves and our Savior. And when we neglect prayer time? There's a gap...between us and God.

If you're not married, you may want to find a prayer partner. It could be a parent, sibling, friend, or mentor at church. Caution: Because this is an intimate act, I recommend your partner be same-sex. You don't want anything to get in the way of the serious business of prayer.

 Look at the life of Christ as an example of a prayer warrior. He spent tons of time on His knees, bringing His petitions to His Father. Jesus took time out to pray in the wilderness, in the desert, by the sea, in the Garden of Gethsemane and even on the cross, where He died.

Your takeaway is simply this: Prayer works. Make it a priority. Intercessory prayer changes lives. The more time you spend in prayer, the more you will crave the intimacy it brings.


***

Female in Motion Health Update: My final dose of chemotherapy will be on Monday, January 28, at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, IL. After that, I'll have three weeks of rest and then I will begin radiation treatment.  Please pray that the neuropathy and fatigue will be at a minimum.

***

Notable Quote:

"Help me, O God, to see that I'm just a symbol of a movement."--prayer by Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward